Wes ID #
21.4 x 27.3 x 6.4 cm (8 7/16 x 10 3/4 x 2 1/2 in)
This basic form of lamp, with a palmette finial and a central cartouche inscribed in Hebrew with a line from Proverbs 6:23 ("For the commandment is a lamp, and the teaching is light"), comes from the Ottoman Empire (Jewish Museum, Accession number F 1267). In particular, it comes from three cities: Salonika and Corfu, in modern-day Greece; and Cairo, in modern-day Egypt. Those examples, however, are all in copper alloy, contain a column connected to the upper right circular bud, and have the ninth holder (the shamash) on the upper left circular bud, rather than under the palmette finial. As a result, it is hard to say whether this lamp was created in the 19th-century Ottoman Empire, or later, in the style of an Ottoman Hanukkah lamp.
Description of materials
Steel: cast, engraved
19th or 20th century
Place of origin
Ottoman Empire (or Ottoman style)
Adath Israel Museum, Middletown, CT
This document is currently not available here.